"" Lulu's Sandbar: Going back to school.....
Welcome to my sand bar - trying to push past my boundaries and serve up humorous observations on life...

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Going back to school.....

I can't believe that it's time for school to start! Of course, we have year-round schools here, so the traditional start of the school year is very complex around my neighborhood. Still, everyone seems to be starting next week - sheesh! When I was growing up, we didn't start until Labor Day and although I complained with the best of them, I was always ready to go back.

New books, new school clothes, new boyfriends, football season, fall colors......what's not to love?

But still....

Memorial Day - and my LuluandmyfriendTeri trip was just yesterday....wasn't it? And what happened to Independence Day? I haven't gotten into bikini shape....ok, two-piece bathing suit sh-....ummmmm.....swimsuit..

Aw hell.

I've got no shape. What happened to all those spring workouts that were going to give me the taut arms? (actually, I know - I stopped at my neighbor's house Sunday and apparently she got all the workouts in - shoot. And I like her, so I can't hate on her because she's got great arms, she's all nice and what have you.....siggghhhh. Where was I? Oh yeah....time getting away from me. HElloo....irony knocking....ANYWAY!)

The real point of my post?

Going back to school time makes me think about all the angsty, greasy, twitchedy, hormoney high school years. I'm feeling your pain, parents of teenagers!!!

But here's my confession. I liked my kids' teenager years. I really enjoy the teenagers in the neighborhood - and NOT in a creepy way, shut up. I like to talk to them and find out what's new in their world, the latest texting stats, who's zooming who, and counting how many times someone can use the word 'like' in one sentence - because it's like, you know, I was really like so, it was like really cool when we talked about music and like I was like you know so like I was all clappy and stuff.

Clappy. I 'best-practiced' that word from Miss Y. Corporate geeks - you know what that means!

So I'm off to the Huge tomorrow - see you Thursday!

Oh and btdubs - although I took the AGT video section away, it doesn't mean that you're absolved from watching the show - there will like, be a quiz, like...sometime. Whatever. Peace out.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't have a teenager...yet! But when I do, I'll get slammed with 4 of them at once!! Yikes! I'm not looking forward to school starting again, because I'm going to miss having my little ones at home with me!

Joanna Jenkins said...

I don't have any teenagers but I remember my teen years were tough! I remember just wanting to cut to the chase and be 50!

Not anymore :-)

xo

diane said...

I talk to young kids all of the time, and sometimes I have to explain to their parents why I do. Not that I mind, it's good that they are protective. Aging is a weird thing. I still feel like "me" on the inside, but I'm...well...aging. Anyway Lulu, you're in a good club, so to speak.

w said...

teenagers make me nervous. they make me want to spit.

that's as wise as i get on teenagers.

Insanitykim said...

I love that school starts here when we want, we sleep in if we want, we can do school outside, inside, on the computer, on the floor, and in our pajamas! It's a blessing for sure for us during this season of life!

But since I am blessed with a boy and girl very close in age, I am quite freaked out by roller- coaster hormones, and crushes, and raging appetites, and my impending height disadvantage, and the silence that hits when teens and old...er, people collide. I sure hope I don't rip all my hair out during the teenage years...

Miss Yvonne said...

I have a teenager in my house right now. He's sucking my will to live some days. He is also eating me out of house and home and yet he remains skinny. He hugs me and then gets mad at me in the next breath. He can't get his butt in gear to visit colleges and retake his SAT's. I barely see him most days.

I love that kid. I'm really looking forward to his 20's.

said...

Craezie - just....yikes. Watch The Breakfast Club. You'll need it.

Jo - 50 is the new 40, and you're really young-acting anyway, so you're probably only 30 and still acting like a teenager in luvvvv.

Di- I knew we were kindred souls - Happy Woodstock weekend, my cool deckster friend!

W - you make teenagers sweat because of your coolness.

IK - can I come to school at your house??? That sounds soooo good...

Miss Y - your stories about the kiddo and Emo are among my favorites - love it!