"" Lulu's Sandbar: Dave Matthews is a Prophet
Welcome to my sand bar - trying to push past my boundaries and serve up humorous observations on life...

Friday, June 5, 2009

Dave Matthews is a Prophet

....or so my daughter says.

I laugh every time I remember this - she said it to my husband oh-so-earnestly when she was just out of college.

"You know, Dad.......Dave Matthews is a prophet."  And we're not particularly religious, so she meant it in that very specific, righteous way that only college graduates - who know everything of course! - can mean.  "He speaks the truth.....he just, he knoooows, you know what I mean?  And it's like - he just speaks to me and to my friends.  He's just so, you know, like so - he can tell the future and we need to listen to him."

How fortunate for us, that the prophet is on the Today Show this morning....

4 comments:

Amy Kate said...

I heard that Meredith Viera finally scored the big interview with Moses for sweeps week...

I love the righteousness of the new college grad types...I love revisiting them a few years later when they realize that quoting lyrics from like, the best, most powerful song in the whole world, the one that TOTALLY sums up their life philosophy, I love when they realize that it's just a song and Ef You Dave Matthews, you haven't had to sit in a crappy cube and have 8 people demand you do shite work for them that they'll all take credit for. And then they listen to the same song and get irritated at how naive and stooopid the lyrics are.

Bitterly yours,

Amy

Insanitykim said...

Yet, his specific lyric of, "hike up your skirt a little more, and show your world to me" makes me distrust his choice of oracles...


Man, I am gonna go wash my eyes and mouth and hands with lava now...

Joanna Jenkins said...

I LOVE Dave Matthews. My husband and I went to a concert of his 2 summers ago. Hubby is a little older than me and had no idea who Dave was. There we sat at the Hollywood Bowl, under the stars, surrounded by 20-somethings smoking pot and looking at us like we were a couple of geezers.... but they were impressed that I knew all the words :-)

diane said...

I'm not a Dave Mathews fan per say, but I like his music whenever I hear it, so I guess that makes me a passive fan.
Your daughter should listen to "Strumming My Soul" by Roberta Flack.

Anybody else notice that the word ver.s are getting harder? I never usually get them right until the second or third try.